The Majorcan Disaster - The Clusterf*ck Continues.... aka Part 4

Introduction (please imagine it being narrated by Leonard Nimoy)

Fast and Furious
The Expendables
The Bourne Series
Terminator
Transformers
Spiderman
Pirates of the Caribbean
Final Destination

What do these movie franchises have to do with Scott's tumble in the Majorcan countryside?  Not much, until now.

Now, his little story can join the ranks of the above esteemed titles by going on (at least) one story too long.  As much as Scott would have loved to wrap things up after the last episode where he made it home in a back brace for a slow but steady recovery.

But, oh no, that's way too easy, so, dear reader, sit back and enjoy the next thrilling episode with Scott and his dodgy descending technique.


I got home from hospital on a Friday afternoon.  I had a truck load of meds and a back brace.

"Honestly love, I feel a bit tired now but another few days and I'll able to start going back into the office"

I probably even believed that too as I said it over the early part of the following week.  Things are going well, I can feel my back improving.  I'm not sleeping too bad, just need to wake for extra meds about 6am to put me on through the morning.  Even managed to get out in the car for a coffee once or twice.  Just 40 mins out of the house but a welcome change of scene.

So one week on from my release and everything is on the mend.

Then it starts.

Pain in my "good lung". How's that even possible?  I did no damage to it whatsoever.  But the pain is there and building nonetheless.  In the space of a couple of hours it's really severe.  So much so I can't get any relief from it.  Nic (my wife) is really worried and decides to call an ambulance.  The rapid response car is here within minutes.  The ambulance follows very close behind.  The paramedics do some tests and decide to take me in to A&E.

On arrival at A&E I'm straight through into triage and seen by a nurse.  I'm still crying out for pain relief and eventually some is offered.  I'm moved to another area of A&E and after 3 hours seen by the doctor on duty.  After getting stronger pain killers the pain starts to subside so the doc thinks its just muscular damage and advises I go home as I am already booked in on Monday for a follow up appointment on the chest ward.

So we go home.  But even by the time I get into bed I'm in bulk again.  And its far worse than any pain I experienced after the crash.  I'm climbing the walls.  I've taken every pain med I'm allowed and am waiting for it to kick in.

Saturday morning.  I've had 2 hours sleep but the pain is subsiding.  All though the day, the pain is quite low and manageable.  I even sleep ok on Saturday night.  Sunday is a different story.  The pain ramps up in the evening and I'm in the most excruciating pain.  All night.  Nic wants to phone an ambulance or take me to A&E but I can't see the sense of hanging around for hours.  I tough it out to go to the clinic on the ward at 9am in the morning.

We get to the ward (38 my old favourite) and have bloods and X-rays done.  I see the doctor and he decides that I need to be readmitted straight away.  A bed is ready for me and I'm booked in for a CT scan.

A serious looking doctor return with the CT scan results and tells me that both lungs have multiple clots on them as well as being infected.  Aha! That's why I was in pain then.

Another battle now begins, the main one being to get the pain under control.  I'm now at the end of day 2 in the hospital as I write this.  I just about have the pain sorted (most of the time) but I'm sure I could squeeze out one more episode down the line...?

PS I could write a book entitled "Ward Banter", with all the crazy that goes on in here.  But only when my ribs have healed fully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The British Response to a Foreign Crisis (Part 3 of The Majorcan Disaster)

Recovery Day One. Officially